Comment on page
Azure Active Directory
Sync Members from Azure Active Directory (Microsoft) to Popl Teams and utilize auto syncs.
At Popl, we understand that time is valuable in the enterprise world, and our focus is to provide efficient and seamless digital business card solutions to help organizations thrive. Our mission is to simplify the process of creating, distributing, and sharing digital cards for both team leaders and members.
To accelerate the digital business card creation process, we have developed an integration called Instant Sync™ with Azure Active Directory (Microsoft). This integration allows for quick and automated synchronization with your existing database of team member data, resulting in instant creation of Popl digital cards for your team. With Instant Sync™, your team can seamlessly integrate Popl into your existing systems, eliminating the need for manual input of data and reducing errors.
To ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience, we have prepared a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to set up and use Instant Sync™ through your Popl Teams dashboard. This integration empowers organizations to effortlessly manage their digital business card solution and focus on building their professional network.
1. First, click into the "Members" tab and then in the top right click on "Add Members". In the dropdown, choose "Sync with Microsoft AD".
Add members to Microsoft Active Directory
2. On the next page you will see an Active Directory pane as shown below. Click on "Configure" next.
Azure Active Diretory configuration widget
3. Next, click on "Connect" in the top right corner of our authenticator popup to login to your Microsoft account. This will give Popl permission to sync member info from your Microsoft account to Popl Teams. This connection only needs to be made once.
Microsoft Active Directory Configuration Popup
4. Once you have authenticated into your Microsoft account successfully, click "Start Setup" in the Microsoft Active Directory pane from step 2 and you will see the window below. This window will allow you to:
- Choose which Active Directory groups you'd like to sync to Popl Teams. Once members are synced from your selected AD groups, we will automatically add those members to subteams on Popl with the same name. For example, if you have an AD group called "popl_users" with 200 members, when those 200 members are synced to Popl, they will automatically be added to a subteam named "popl_users". This helps bring the directory organization from AD over to Popl.
- Set up an auto sync cadence that will automatically create or remove digital business cards as employees join or leave your company.
- Available Auto Sync cadences include:
- Choose which fields to sync and/or overwrite:
- When a field has a check for "Sync" this means when the integration finds a new member on AD to create on Popl, it will create that member with this field. The default is to keep all fields as synced.
- When a field has a check for "Overwrite" this means when the integration finds a member that already exists on Popl, it will either overwrite new data from AD on future syncs or keep the value as is. For example, if John Smith has the title "Director of Sales" and gets a promotion to "VP of Sales", when the auto sync sees John's title has changed on the AD side, if the overwrite for Job title is checked, the next auto sync will see this update on the AD side and update John's Popl digital business card on the Popl side.
- Choose whether to toggle on "Send Email Invites" or not. When this option is checked, any auto sync or manual sync will send new members an invite email to claim their digital business card. If this is unchecked, no email will be sent. If no invite is sent, always remember to send these invites later!
Once selections are chosen, click on "Sync Now" to start the initial sync. If an auto sync cadence is chosen, no other work needs to be done with the AD integration.
Active Directory Setup Popup
During the initial sync, Popl Teams will create digital business cards for each member with the attribute mappings listed below:
If a member's email from the sync is already attached to a Popl digital business card, we will simply invite the existing member instead of creating them. The existing Popl user will get an email invite to join your company on Popl Teams unless you have "Send Email Invites" unchecked.
As your company grows, names, titles, departments, and other member info can change. With any sync after your initial one, Instant Sync™ will automatically update Popl digital cards to correct, up-to-date info without any manual entry.
For example, let's say that Jessica Swift gets a promotion and her title changes from Marketing Manager to Director of Marketing. After a successful daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly auto sync, this title change will instantly reflect on Jessica's digital business card. Syncs can also be run manually by clicking the "Edit Setup" button at any time from the add members page or the integrations tab.
Use the Overwrite check box options to decide which fields you'd like to update on future syncs.
Made with 🤍 Popl